New user missing his true-type fonts

Hi,

I'm a relatively new Debian user (I converted from Mandrake a month or two
ago) and am having a lot of trouble getting true-type fonts working. I'm
running a straight, recently upgraded (via ftp.au.debian.org) version of
Potato, and the S3 X Server (3.something, whichever is distributed with
Potato :). I've tried installing xfstt -- I apt-get installed it, everything
seemed to go okay, I put some true-type fonts in its default directory and
it ran and all, but to no avail; webpages that use Verdana, Georgia and all
the other MS fonts still look awful.

Help would be much appreciated. My current lack of ttf support is about the
only thing keeping me from spending all of my time in Debian :).

Thanks for your time!

Andrew Sione Taumoefolau
bepempire@optusnet.com.au
http://users.pipeline.com.au/tonga/