Re: ppp mystery

Quoting Gil Elad (gilelad@netvision.net.il):
> Thanks for the advice. It worked like a charm. I don't know why I hadn't
> thought of it earlier.
> I tried Isolating the one setting which is crucial that the modem received
> in Windows and not
> in Linux and found out it was AT&B1 which manages the modem's serial port rate.
> &B0 means variable, follows connection rate
> &B1 means fixed serial port rate
> &B2 means fixed in ARQ mode, variable in non-ARQ mode.

Hmm, this is a fairly historical command, and nothing should
change the default which is &B1, i.e. fixed. You should run
the connection between the PC and the modem at the fastest
speed that both support. Frequently this is 115200 bps.

> I guess the port rate needs to be fixed.

Fixed as in non-variable: true. In case you mean you need to
fix (mend) your port settings, here's the typical output
you ought to be seeing on a modem port:

$ setserial -a /dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS1, Line 1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test

$ stty < /dev/ttyS1
speed 115200 baud; line = 0;
min = 1; time = 0;
-brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
-opost -onlcr
-isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke

That's a machine with the modem on ttyS1, COM2, running
mgetty which is waiting for an incoming connection.

Cheers,