Re: ppp mystery

Quoting Gil Elad (gilelad@netvision.net.il):

> I'm completely new to both Linux and Debian so please forgive my stupidity.
> I've been trying for the past few weeks to connect to my ISP with no
> success using both pppconfig and wvdial.
> While both succeed in getting connected at a reasonable speed (49.3 kbps)
> neither can get passed the authentication stage. I seem to get gibberish
> instead of a login prompt (a series of '[' and 'c' characters mostly) and
> both programs don't know what to do with it. It seemed to me at first as if
> there's too much noise on the line, so I tried to connect at slower speeds,
> but that didn't work.
> Attached are both the chatscript and the output from plog.
> The absolutely most irritating thing about this whole business, though, is
> that windows connects like clockwork every time at 49.2 kbps.
> any help at all will be appreciated.

1) It is a real modem, not a winmodem?

2) I would put a space and \d\c after the word CONNECT in your
chatscript.

3) I would install minicom and try making a connection manually to see
exactly what the dialogue is. You've succeeded when lots of }}} rubbish
starts to spew out. (That's LCP stuff coming to you.) Your log doesn't
seem to indicate any LCPs arriving.

Cheers,