Re: Debian tutorials

on Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:34:15AM -0700, Don Collier (collierd@email.com) wrote:
> Hello all.  I have decided to make the jump from RedHat to Debian but
> I am having some problems.  If any of you know of some rather
> informative web sites, howto's, tutorials, and anything else that
> would be of help, I sure would love to check them out.  I have been
> around linux for just over a year so I am not totally lost, but I am
> in need of some documentation to figure things out.  Thanks for the
> help.

As suggested, http://www.debian.org/, though quality of docs varies.
Also, once you've installed your system, /usr/share/doc.  Note that some
packages install documentation separately, and some system documentation
is a separate package entirely.  Highly worth installation for a
general-purpose system.

For books, my recommendation is the Sams book, _Installing Debian
GNU/Linux_, by Thomas Down (~$25), covering basic installation:

  http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=0672317451&vm=

The O'Reilly Debian book by Bill McCarty is uncharacteristically poor.