Dual ethernet cards

Hello.
I just rebuilt the 2.2.17 kernel for a firewall/router and got the
following errors with my NIC's.

/var/log/debug - eth0 no IPv6 routers present
/var/log/dmesg - IP-Config: No network devices available

lspci -vvb lists both cards and I added the appropriate "append=" line
to lilo.conf.

I followed the firewall/ethernet howto's about building the kernel for
this as best I could (it has changed a little bit).  The card support is
in the kernel and not a module.

Does anyone have any ideas what I overlooked, or what might be wrong?

Thanks for any input.
Steve