Re: Anyone using SoundBlaster 16? / better card? -noway, good card

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, ktb wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 09:50:40AM -0600, ktb wrote:
> > I purchased a Soundblaster 16 (PCI) CT4810 OEM card yesterday and still can't
> > get the thing to work.  I've selected all the soundblaster choices for
> > the kernel as well as pnp support.  The card isn't detected on boot,
> > nothing in dmesg.  I've tried using module es1371, got a little static.
> > /sbin/lspci -v shows -
> >
> > 00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq: Unknown device 5880 (rev 02)
> > 	Subsystem: Ensoniq: Unknown device 2003
> > 	Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
> > 	I/O ports at d800 [size=64]
> > 	Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
> >
> > I got this card because I though it would be easy to install.  Are there
> > any lower end cards that are?  How do I get this thing to work.
> > Thanks,
> > kent
> >

> Don't know exactly what I did but I have music from cdrom and can cat
> .au files to /dev/audio.
> kent

You will need to add yourself to the audio group, and if you are using modules
(see addgroup)

you need to load these at boot time by adding these to /etc/modules:

sound
# My main sound module, does not seem to need any special options
es1371

lsmod output:

es1371                 23876   2
sound                  55480   0 (unused)
soundlow                 348   0 [sound]
soundcore               2372   7 [es1371 sound]
tulip                  30232   1

you may also want to get an audio mixer (package aumix, for some reason I have to run
this even though the software says it is NOT muted...you can use this utility to
adjust the volume--useful if you are using headsets...