Re: dpkg fails to allocte memory ?

No I don't get any message reporting VM failure. But I did manage a fix by loging into single user mode and apt works just fine. I don't know why though. However I think it is time I upgrade to 2.2.18 :-). Please note the suggestions in the bug report that it may be a problem with locale did not work. Since I had tried to run kde after "unset LANG  unset LC_CTYPE .... ".

b thomas