Re: E-mail configuration

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 08:39:34PM -0300, Hammurabi Mendes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having problems with e-mail configuration: when someone receives
> some of my e-mails sent from debian, the From line is the following:
>
> From: Hammurabi das Chagas Mendes <hmendes@carbona>
> (hmendes is my username and carbona is the hostname of my machine)
>
> when I would like to use : Myname <hammurabi@persocom.com.br>
> (set the name to Myname, for example; set the e-mail to the shown above)
>
> I use dialup and fecthmail to get the mails.

Yes, but what do you use for a mail reader?  Some allow you to configure
these things (From: and Reply-To:).  It's also possible to use a rewrite
rule with Exim (see below).

> Another question: Exim seems to have a limit of messages to "deliver" to
> the mailbox, witch is set to 100 (by default). I actually receive more
> than that in one fetchmail run, and the messages are written to my
> mailbox in "blocks". I think they stay in some tempdir and get delivered
> after some specific time (100 or the available amount each time). Is it
> true?

That's be the default configuration.  You can change it.

In exim.conf look for:

smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 100

If I recall, setting this to "0" tells exim not to limit the number of
messages.

If exim is run from inetd, then there should be a cron job periodically
calling exim to flush its queue, else this will be specified in
/etc/init.d/exim --  "-q30m", for example.

For a rewrite rule: look at /etc/exim.conf (or /etc/exim/exim.conf)
at the bottom should be an example rewrite rule like:

*@*  ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                     {$value}fail} bcfrF

Where /etc/email-addresses would have the mappings from localnames to
internet names like:

hmendes:hammurabi@persocom.com.br

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>