Questions: apt-get, kernel compile, pump/ifconfig

Hi, I have several unrelated questions I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with.

1. apt-get won't install kde of cd-rom

I have a CD-ROM on which lie, among others, the directories

kde/main/binary-i386/
kde/crypto/binary-i386/
updates/main/binary-i386/

and more, in which are, among other files, Packages.gz,
kdebase_2.1-final-0.potato1_i386.deb, and the rest of the kde packages.
In Packages.gz is, among other entries, one for the kdebase.

So I type this:
apt-cdrom --thorough add

and I type in a name for the CD and it appears to find the Packages.gz
and add its contents to the database.  For example, in sources.list I
see:

deb cdrom:[CHGUY Disk B4]/ kde/main/binary-i386/
deb cdrom:[CHGUY Disk B4]/ updates/main/binary-i386/

and others for the other directories on the CD with packages.
So I do an 'apt-get update'.

But typing:
apt-get install kdebase

tells me that kdebase has no available version, but exists in the
database. Same for any other kde-package.

But sometimes when I am installing another application with many packages
that it depends on and I haven't installed, apt-get will ask me to insert
the CHGUY Disk B4 and apparently install some packages off of the updates
branch (maybe those that aren't newer in woody). But it can't seem to
remember that it saw kdebase on that CD!

I know that I can download kde 2.1, but I got this CD and would at least like to understand why it doesn't work.

2. kernel compile, missing commands and need explicit instructions

a. When I try to make the kernel, Make complains that it cannot find the command "wish". I'm obviously just missing a basic development package, but I have not had any luck discovering which package has wish in it.

b. Is there a set of canonical instructions for how to compile a new 2.4.2 kernel in Debian potato->woody? In particular, instructions for the kernel-package package? I have installed a kernel-source-2.4.2.deb file but the newest kernel-package file that I can find seems to be for 2.2 and so I haven't put that on yet. I just don't quite understand how kernel-package works, and can't find docs for it.

3. Promiscuos Mode

I use a notebook computer with a Xircom CardBus Ethernet 10/100 CBE2-100 PCMCIA nic, and I use DHCP to get my LAN IP from the router. When I boot up, the card is recognized and pump works successfully, and the router sees my computer, but my computer cannot access the network at all - I cannot ping or telnet to the gateway, and I cannot get out to the internet at all. If I type "ifconfig eth0 promisc" then my card goes into Promiscuous Mode and now everything works as expected. My questions: Why do I have to go into Promiscuous Mode, and are there any harmful side effects to being in this mode?

Thanks,
Steve