Re: Tux Laptop Comment and Recommendation.

I have the model that was called the Obsidian when TuxTops sold it, and
I believe the Emperor is essentially the same unit except it has updated
graphics (like the Dell Inspiron 5000e). I got mine with 256 MB of RAM.

I've been very happy with it. It's rugged, reliable, comfortable to use,
and without any problems so far. The 15.1" screen is a pleasure,
especially in 1400 x 1050.

I got it with Debian preinstalled. They did a nice job with that, but I
always like to do my own. So I kept the original install on there as a
reference, but have shrunk down that partition and added my own Debian
installation, plus Win98.

I don't use a modem that often, but the Lucent winmodem works fine in
Linux when I do use it. I'm using the Lucent ltmodem module which you
can find some info on here: http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/

I also have the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 + 56k Modem PC Card.

Tom