Re: Tux Laptop Comment and Recommendation.

on Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 02:42:06PM -0800, hammack (hammack@ridgenet.net) wrote:
> QLITechnology picked up Tux Laptops.  Here's what I am thinking about:
> Emperor (also know as a Dell Insipiron 5000), 15.1",  SXGA+ 1400X1050,
> 128MB, 20GB HD, CD-ROM, 1.44 FD, and Lucent soft modem with Debian
> factory installed.
>
> I know the soft-modem rases a red flag, but QLI says that they will
> include an open source (new) kernal module that works flawlessly.
> Supposedly it was written by Lucent Technology.  Comment and
> Recommendations appreciated!   thanks John

A few comments.

If the factory Debian install is the one Heather wrote, it's a 2 or
three partition job -- boot, swap, and everything else.  I tend to
prefer a bit more control over my partitions.  Sure, you can munge stuff
later, but it depends on how much time you want to spend.  In my case, I
wiped clean the RH 7.0 installation I'd aquired and rolled Debian from
boot disk and network.

I've been driving the TuxTops Amethyst 20U for the past couple of
months (QLITech markets this as the "King"), pretty darned happy with
it.  This is the docking-base version of the laptop.  Just watch the
screen when closed.  Advantages over the Emperor:  much lighter travel
weight (about half that of the Emperor), but full features if you add
the docking base.  Frankly, I haven't needed CD or Floppy access since
installation.  Screen res is slightly lower (1024x768), but quality is
good.

Not sure what the status of the winmodem is, but I was advised that I
shouldn't depend on it.  Instead, I picked up a PCMCIA modem.  Mostly
using the onboard networking anyway, but I can fall back to PCMCIA if
needs be.

Case and hardware are good -- keyboard has good feel to it, I've dropped
it (onto carpet, thank god), lugged it around a lot (halfway 'round the
world and back).  Helps to put a slip of paper between screen and
keyboard -- there's a scratch from the touchpad, that's it.