Re: executable problem

Marcelo Chiapparini <chiappa@uerj.br> writes:
MC> I've just compiled a FORTRAN program but I am unable to run the
MC> executable, because "bash: qhdiv0.e: command not found". I think
MC> this is because the present directory it is not in the PATH.

You should run './qhdiv0.e', then.  This explicitly includes the
location of the binary (the current directory), which avoids user
confusion.  Putting . into PATH is considered by many to be a poor
idea.

MC> Please, I need to know:
MC> a) where is the file where the PATH is defined
MC> b) what should I write in it

PATH is generally set in .bashrc or .bash_profile.  To add a personal
binary directory to the path, you might add 'PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin' to
an appropriate one of those files.  See bash(1) (or archives of
debian-user, if you're so inspired) for the difference.

	-- Abra Mitchell