Re: Reboot only w/ mouse.

on Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 03:14:44PM -0500, Mathieu, Barry (Barry_Mathieu@littonas.com) wrote:
> Trouble.
>
> My keyboard is not responding (poof - dead), even the LED indicator
> for caps lock doesn't illuminate.  I have X running, w/ ICEWM.  There
> is a mouse menu that allows reboot, but only works if logged-in as
> root, which I am not. And, I am a bit of a Linux newbie.
>
> Is there anyway to reboot my machine simply by using the mouse?  Is
> there any way to re-establish communication with the keyboard w/ only
> a mouse? Any ideas?  I really don't want to push that power button.
>
> Sigh,
> Barry

Your video driver and/or card are probably wedged.  It rarely gets
unwedged w/o a restart.

Your options:

  - Hit the Big Red Switch.  Though it's generally discouraged, it's
    usually OK to power-cycle a GNU/Linux box.  Just make sure to allow
    the filesystem to fsck on boot.

  - Look into the magic SysRq key.  This is a kernel option which allows
    a minimal amount of control over your system even when most
    functionality is missing.

  - If you are networked or have serial access to your system (a Palm
    Pilot may suffice), you may be able to switch to a console or reboot
    your system cleanly.

  - I believe there's an option in XF86 configuration to allow killing
    an X session with various mouse click combinations, though I've
    never tried this (or did and failed, don't recall).

Cheers.