Re: etherexpress card and modconf

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 06:17:00PM -0700, John Galt wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Don Seiler wrote:
> >
> > >hullo.
> > >
> > >I'm having trouble getting my Intel EtherExpress card online.  Using
> > >modconf, when I try at add the "eexpress" module, it first does an
> > >autoprobe and returns this:
> > >eexpress
> > >
> > >io = 0x300
> > >irq = 0           (IRQ value read from EEPROM)
> >
> > Impossible.  The irq is between 1 and 15.  IRQ 0 is the CPU.
>
> Sorry John, but IRQ 0 does happen and generally indicates something
> not very nice has happened.  I've seen this happen with the POS HP
> Pavilion I have here.  It went away when I upgraded to kernel 2.4.2
> and enabled PnP in the kernel, so I assume the problem is the PnP
> stuff is going wrong during boot.
>
> --
> Nathan Norman - Staff Engineer | A good plan today is better
> Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.
> mailto:nnorman@micromuse.com   |   -- Patton

It's possible that you (I mean - Don) have 'PnP OS Installed' (or
similar) option set to 'Yes' ('enabled' or something...) in BIOS - I had
the same problem with a PCI Ethernet card (IRQ was 0 and it didn't work).
AFAIK this works only under M$-Win - for linux (and probably other OSes)
you have to set this option to 'No' - the BIOS will assign IRQ resources
(when the option set to 'Yes' - BIOS leaves this to OS...).
You can type 'cat /proc/pci' to check yourself IRQ settings that
your linux kernel sees presently for PCI-bus devices.

tom.