Re: fetchmail at login

You may benefit from also checking out getmail.  It's simpler, cleaner and may be less prone to dropping mail (a fact advertised by
the author of getmail).  I find it works really well, particularly when combined with wmbiff.  Wmbiff can be set up to execute getmail
whenever its polling detects mail arriving at the server.  Since I live in X this works better for me than starting it at login time.
I also like that it's written in Python, and therefore theoretically easy to modify.

Good luck,
Steve Cooper