Re: nfs problems

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Forrest English wrote:

> ok, here's what i do on the server.
>
> /etc/exports file contains
> /cdrom 192.168.2.30
>
> and the client's fstab contains....
> 192.168.1.10:/cdrom /nfscdrom nfs rsize=1024,wsize=1024 0 0
>
> i on the server, i then did...  /etc/init.d/nfs-server reload
>
> and mounting on the client reports....
>
> grickle:~# mount /nfscdrom
> mount: thneed:/test failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
>
> could someone please elighten me on what the heck i'm doing wrong?
>
> --
> Forrest English
> http://truffula.net

[...]
Check 'showmount -e' on server - you'll see active exports and your
'/cdrom' should be between them. If it's not - check /etc/exports
(i think you should add (ro) to the cdrom export - but i'm not sure) and
reload portmap and nfsd (i don't know why but sometimes reloading only
nfsd didn't work).
But this is probably OK - so check logs on server - there you should
find the answer (look for mountd and nfsd).
It's also possible that you put something in /etc/hosts.allow or
hosts.deny that refuses mounting - take a look at these files. And as i
remember - rules of access for portmap have to be given with IP-adresses -
not domain names. Eg.

/etc/hosts.allow
This will not work
---------------------------------