Re: Exim - Fetchmail - Procmail

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 03:42:37AM +0100, MamoMC wrote:
> When I send a message to myself (maurizio) locally exim passes
> the message correctly to procmail (I have a ~/.procmailrc)
> which moves it to ~/Mail/In.... which is read by Mutt.
>
> If I send a message to an e-mail address outside my PC world
> and the I fetch it by fetchmail (~/.fetchmailrc knows it has to
> get something from a POP3 server and pass it through to
> maurizio on my local machine) it stops in /var/mail/maurizio,
> so it's not passed to procamil to be treted as I want.
>
> I thought exim could understand that what was passed to him by
> fetchmail was to be delivered to user maurizio (myself), who
> has a ~/.procmailrc so it has to send everything to procmail.
>
> What's wrong?
>
> Is the error in Exim, Procmail or Fetchmail (without the MDA
> option it should pass everything to port 25 where Exim is
> listening to, shouldn't it)?

exim must know what to look for -- in my /etc/exim.conf DIRECTORS
section i've got

# This director runs procmail for users who have a .procmailrc file
procmail:
  driver = localuser
  transport = procmail_pipe
  require_files = ${local_part}:+${home}:+${home}/.procmailrc:+/usr/bin/procmail
  no_verify

so if exim can tell that there is a valid local_part, a
home-address exists, there's a ~/.procmailrc, and procmail itself
exists, then it'll run the procmail_pipe on it.

if this gets commented out, exim won't know to look for your
.procmailrc file, and it won't do any procmail filtering, either.

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com
http://newbieDoc.sourceforge.net/ -- we need your brain!