modules.conf aliases

I'm curious to know how one defines new aliases in '/etc/modutils/'. In
the past when the kernel fails to load a module that is requested, a
message will appear in the system log.  I am not receiving any such
notification.

I assume that the aliases the kernel looks for are kept somewhere by
the kernel, and would like to know how to extract such information.
As an example, I notice that the normal convention is to use "alias
[kernel_symbol] [module_for_modprobe]", but how does one know what
to use when the module does not have major/minor numbers (as with the
netfilter modules)?

I would like to get this information, as I need it, on my own.
Unfortunately I don't know where to look.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.  I hope I can find an
answer to such a basic question of module definition and operation.

--
Adam J. Henry  <ahenry(a)heidelberg(.)edu><pgp: 0xBD168A74>
               <www.heidelberg.edu/~ahenry><icq: 69243836>