some usefull tip for the installation of Debian 2.2v2

I want to install on my PC Debian Linux. I need the Xfree86 4 because my
video card is based on intel 82815. I also would like to install Ximian
Gnome 1.2

I tried to do that in the following way:

1. base system installation from Debian Potato

2. packages installation from dselect using http connection on the following
URL

ftp.fi.debian.org/debian stable
ftp.fi.debian.org/debian-non-US stable

ftp.fi.debian.org/debian testing
ftp.fi.debian.org/debian-non-US testing

ftp.fi.debian.org/ximian/distributions/debian
ftp.fi.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/

Is this a good way to have a stable, but update system?
If not, could you suggest me the right way to have Xfree86 updated to
release n.4 and Ximian Gnome 1.2?

Thanks

Sergio Andreozzi