Re: Yamaha sound card (FW: pls help me)

On Monday 12 March 2001 15:59, D-Man wrote:
> I got this message in private e-mail today.  Melvin needs help
> configuring a Yamaha sound card.  Can anyone help?  (cc replies to him
> since his subscription was rejected (see below))
>
> -D
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Melvin Sebastian <melllow75@yahoo.co.in> -----
>
> From: Melvin Sebastian <melllow75@yahoo.co.in>
> Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:41:33 +0000 (GMT)
> To: dsh8290@ritvax.isc.rit.edu
>
> Hi,
>
> My name is melvin and i'm a fresher into the linux environment. I'm
> not much exposed to the unix platform. but after installing linux i
> found it extremely good and easy to work with.
>
> But since i don know anybody in this field i get stuck up while
> configuring something or the other.Like for example right now i'm
> stuck up with configuring the sound card in debian.and i'm using a pci
> yamaha sound card. and like in RedHat it is not able to configure with
> snconfig tool.
>
> Can u pls help me out of this any way or can u tell me whom to
> escalate these issues to. i've heard that the mailing list helps a lot
> but even after sbscribing there, my subscription was rejected. Can u
> pls help me get over this somehow..
>
> regards
> Melvin
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

Hi Melvy,

You sound very nice and sincere. Maybe I can help you.
Well for sound support, you need to make sure the kernel is ready.
Look in modconf and see if you see any sound modules.  You will need snd and
maybe snd-ympci....  You can use sndconfig in debian you know.
Try using alien to convert the .rpm package to a .deb package.  If you have
the modules loaded then the utility should see your sound card.

Also, do a lsmod to see what you have and verify your modules.
What kernel do you have? and what version debian?

well hope it isn't too much to swallow, but it aen't like windowzs but once
up, it runs and runs and runs......

see and good luck at rit

-nick