Re: Programs in /usr/local/ and `apt-get'

on Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 10:58:46PM -0800, Keith Johnson (keith@mindportal.net) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have put a more recent version of WINE and a copy of Netscape4 from
> the Netscape site onto my otherwise, strict potato system. I had
> various reasons for doing this and put both packages into the
> /usr/local/ hierarchy.
>
> I would like to let `apt-get' know two things:

> (1) Don't muck with with WINE and Netscape, and

Good as done.  Debian doesn't touch /usr/local, except to create certain
subdirectories.  No files are placed there.  No files or directories are
removed.

> (2) That it can download other packages that depend on WINE or
> Netscape.

There's a way to create a pseudopackage to do this.  I'm not sure of
how, I'd double-check Debian docks and/or Google.  I also suspect the
information will be forthcoming on this list ;-)