Re: debconf problems

Timothy Bedding <tim@bedding0.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> Delete the old verson of base.pm that is installed somewhere in the
>> directories listed at the end of perl -V, but is not part of a debian
>> package. It would also help if you can figure out where that copy of
>> base.pm came from -- did you locally install it by accident, via CPAN,
>> or something? You're not the first person to run into this problem.
[...]
>These are the two base.pm files that I have found
>out of those directories:
>/usr/lib/perl5/base.pm
>/usr/share/perl/5.6.0/base.pm
>
>My question is: Which of these should I remove? How can I tell
>which is not part of a debian package? Is there a command that
>I should use?

/usr/share/perl/5.6.0/base.pm is the newer one. Try 'dpkg -S
/usr/lib/perl5/base.pm' to find out where the older one came from; I'd
expect that it came from perl-5.005, and that you somehow managed to
keep a version of perl-5.005 that wasn't just a transitional package
through the recent perl upgrade.

What versions of perl, perl-base, perl-5.005, and perl-5.005-base do you
have? (Try 'dpkg -l perl', etc.) Did you use --force-depends or
--force-conflicts at any point while installing packages?