New Kernel Not Recognised In LILO

I have compiled a new kernel and the image file is in /boot. I install it in lilo.conf and when i run lilo it adds the new kernel but when i restart the machine and try to boot it up using the new kernel it does not detect it. [TAB] at the LILO prompt only shows Linux as the kernel when the bzImage is in /boot and LILO.conf configurations are correct.

When i try to set the root partition, which is /dev/hda6 however it does not recognise /dev/hda6 as a valid root partition. I am using 2.2.17 kenel at the moment and am trying to upgrade it to 2.4.2 but it just doesnt want to do it. Are there any problems within the 2.2.17 kernel that i am not aware of. This problem has really stumped me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Tom