Re: debian on laptop

Kim De Smaele wrote:

> hi all,
>
> when I try to install debian on my laptop i receive this error message:
>
> hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error )
> hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error 0x30
> hdc: ATAPI device reset complete
> end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 68
> ATAPI device hdc:
>   Error : Unit attention -- (Sence key=0x06)
>   Power on, reset or hardware reset occured -- (asc=0x29, ascq=0x00)
> isofs_read_super:bread failed, dev=16:00, iso_blknum=17 block=34
>
> any idea's? I 've tried with 2 different iso images.

i've found that problem on cdroms that have a hard time reading CDR'd
discs(which in my experience is the vast majority of them -- and it
doesn't apply to only debian ive seen cdr discs crash any system
from Win32 to linux to solaris etc). the only way around it ive
found is either buy a retail pressed(i.e. not CD-R'd) CD of the
application..or in debian's case you can also install from floppies
and do a network install from another host(or ftp/http).

i usually use the CD just for the booting of the initial
installation. once i get to the base system i do everything from
network.

nate

--
:::