spontaneous partitions type changes (GRUB)

Hi,
I have installed dos, win98 and debian on my system using GRUB as the bootloader. The installation was ok. But every time I boot into windows or dos and try to boot back into linux I get the Stage 2 error 17, that the info documentations says is due to an unrecogized partitions type. When I check the partition type in linux using cfdisk , it is reported as being of type "amoeba". I change its type to linux ext2 and write it to disk (Without losing any data on the disk) and the error repeats if I boot into win or dos.
Moreover the first time I boot grub (version 0.5.96.1) it presents me with the menu based interface and thereafter on subsequent boots it drops me into the shell.
Could you please explain, and show me any workaround or point me to the appropriate docs.

Please note I am temporarlly unsubscribed from the list as I don't want my ISP mailbox flooding during this install and config. I would greatly appreciate it if you could mail me a copy of your response.
Sincerely
balbir thomas