Re: CYRILLIC/RUSSIAN?! any Russians out here?! help

Mark Livingstone <mlivingstone@ottawa.com> writes:

> Hi. I was asked by our Russian co-worker to enable cyrillic support
> in Debian, both in console in X. So far I have no idea how to
> implement that. GTK complains that the locale is not supported and
> console doesn't want to show any symbols.

I can help you only with console because I use only GNU Emacs
with mule in X.

1) install console-tools;

2) add following lines to /etc/console-tools/config:
      SCREEN_FONT=Cyr_a8x16
      SCREEN_FONT_vc2=Cyr_a8x16
      SCREEN_FONT_vc3=Cyr_a8x16
      SCREEN_FONT_vc4=Cyr_a8x16
      SCREEN_FONT_vc5=Cyr_a8x16
      SCREEN_FONT_vc6=Cyr_a8x16

      APP_CHARSET_MAP=koi8-r
      APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc2=user
      APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc3=user
      APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc4=user
      APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc5=user
      APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc6=user

3) in user's profile:

      LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R
      export LANG

4) copy one of the russian keymaps from /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/
   to /etc/console-tools/default.kmap.gz, f.e ru4.kmap.gz

5) add to /etc/inputrc:
     # Be 8 bit clean.
     set input-meta on
     set output-meta on

6) execute following command:

      loadkeys ru4

I hope this will help.

> Please point me to an updated guy or explain how to do it.

Try to send a message to debian-russian list.
--
Alexander Zhuckov   zuav@int.spb.ru   2:5030/518.50