Re: compiling the kernel

Thomas Delany wrote:
> Re 3)  I don't have a lot of experience with this as I've usually just let
> the Debian install procedure set up the hard disk for me.  As far as
> partitioning the drive goes, Linux has an fdisk utility that is sort of the
> counterpart of the MS-DOS / Windows fdisk utility (check the man page /
> documentation).
I suggest you sue cfdisk, rather than fdisk.  It's more sophisticated,
and in my (admittedly limited) experience less likely to lead you

> I believe that the Linux mkfs utility is the closest equivalent to the
> MS-DOS / Windows format command.  Again, check the man page / documentation
> for its options.  Anybody else out there feel free to correct me if I'm way
> off base here, as I'm not exactly an old hand at Linux.
Yes.  If you are doing an installation for the first time, the install
procedure takes care of all this for you.

> I am not at all qualified to answer 4) for you.  Sorry.
My own prejudice is to put it all into the kernel.  I don't think that
it reduces functionality that much.  If you have something that you
don't use very often, it may make more sense to modularize it.  I use
pretty much everything nearly every day. so have put it all in the

Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.