Lock in packages dependency

Ciao everybody 8-)

I've been reading this list for sometime, now it's my turn for exposing
a little "strangeness" (or so it appears to me).

So, I've to update debconf (0.2.80.17), but cannot because it needs
perl-5.005 installed. I got this package, but when trying to install it,
dpkg gets angry because it conflicts with perl-base 5.004.04.6 already
installed. Various force options weren't effective, nor did I manage to
uninstall the "old" perl-base package, as it's needed by other packages.

Now I'm stuck with this package... How can I resolve this lock
condition? Please don't tell me "use apt-*", it's already in the list of
packages to be installed de hi hi ho 8-))
--
Max and productivity under Windows

SecurFaq             : http://members.nbci.com/gouldukat/
Biancorossi Siamo Noi: http://www.tifonet.it/free/ancona/