Re: booting Win95 with LILO

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 04:32:57PM -0800, scud wrote:
| Hi everybody,
| I decided to boot Win95 once again, for making some changes and install
| software for useing with Wine. But the MBR has been rewritten during
| Linux installation. I boot Linux with LILO. How exactly shuld look the
| lilo.conf  file in order to be able to boot Win95. Win95s are at  hda3,
| which begins at some 1.2GB . I tried this:
|
| It didn't work, probably because BIOS can't see so far (hda3 begins at
| 1.2GB).
| If you have any sollution please help.

Use grub :-).  It will take you ~ 2 seconds to understand how to
configure it to boot windows.  Here is the section to use :  (grub
uses zero-based indexing)

title Windows
root (hd0,2)
makeactive
chainloader +1

:-)

(Umm, where is the Win boot loader?  You may need to adjust the offset
in that last line.  Both the machines I have used it on had windows on
hda1.)

On one machine, linux starts at ~14GB.  Grub boots it quite happily.
(can't say the same for lilo).  On the other machine, /dev/hda is
windows while /dev/hdc is linux.  LILO got stuck at 'LI' when trying
to boot Linux (never really tried it for windows on that machine).
Grub is now on the MBR and is quite happy with both OSes.

HTH,
-D