Problems Installing X

Hi,
I had installed Storm Linux which is based on potato and tried to upgrade
by using the unstable distribution.  I got the following error after
upgrading to XFree86 version 4.02...  "cannot stat etc/X11/X"   I then made
boot floppies and installed a completely clean install by using boot
floppies, reinitializing the partition and using dselect to install from
the unstable distribution but received the same error.  I read over the
HowTo's but couldn't find anything that would help.  I ran xf86config but
nothing seems to fix it.  What is the next step?

David