Re: Rebuilding package selections

> Hi,
>
> after upgrading to a new HD I miss my old package selection. I have
> backuped
>
>     /var/cache
>     /var/backup
>     /var/lib
>
> How can I rebuild my old package selection? I just want to do something
> like "Rebuild cache" and the "apt-get upgrade".

All the info about the state of your old system is kept under /var/lib/dpkg.
Therefore, since you have a backup of /var/lib you can do something like
	cat "$backup of /var/lib/dpkg/status" > /tmp/trying_to_restore_the_system
and after examining /tmp/trying_to_restore_the_system and verifying that it
has the proper content,
        dpkg --setselections < /tmp/trying_to_restore_the_system
However this is the path that I would follow if I were in your position. But
the details, like the exact dpkg cmd, whether or not you should apply some
filter to the content of /var/lib/dpkg/status and so on, are most probably
wrong. The reason is that I do not know them either. You'll have to work the
details for yourself or get more help.