Re: After Debian install, XMS and HIMEM errors prevent Win95 launch.

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 10:56:42PM -0500, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 02:23:58PM -0800, Robert Cymbala wrote:
> >
> >   Error: "HIMEM.SYS is missing..." or "Error: Unable to control A20
> >           line..." After Installing Norton SystemWorks
>
> Very odd.  I have that same problem on my laptop (Win98 & sid).
> However, on mine it isn't merely after installation, but it happens all
> the time.  Windows refuses to run except on a hard reboot.
>
> I don't pretend to understand it.

<rant>
This A20-line crap rates as one of the most insane ideas ever put forth
in the whole history of PCs. Anyone who doesn't know already may want to
read up a little on what it's about, for example here

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~mjanssen/control.php3?chapter=6
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~mjanssen/control.php3?chapter=9
(a google search for the exact phrase "A20 line" will turn up a couple
of more links)

In short, it was born in a desperate attempt at gaining another 64k
(k!) of memory addressable beyond the 1M limit of the so-called "real
mode" of 80x86 processors. It was realised by introducing some weird
mechanics into the PC hardware that allows to switch that special
addressing scheme on or off.
It's one of the prototypical examples of how an ad-hoc solution of no
real benefit can cause headaches for thousands of people. Even years
after its invention it seems to haunt innocent users. Unbelievable!
</rant>

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing gmbh

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --