dpkg -i error

Ok, I've banged my head up against the wall alone long enough.

I am trying to install veepee_1.0-1_i386.deb.  I have the deb on my local
machine.  I have run the dpkg -i veepee_1.0-1_i386.deb only to get the
following error:

Selecting previously deselected package veepee.
(Reading database ... 45417 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace veepee 1.0-1 (using veepee_1.0-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement veepee ...
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute old post-removal script: Exec format
error
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new post-removal script: Exec format
error
dpkg: error processing veepee_1.0-1_i386.deb (--install):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new post-removal script: Exec format
error
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
 veepee_1.0-1_i386.deb

This is a first time installation of this package, so all it is replacing is
the previously failed install.

Can someone please tell me what in the world is wrong with this.  I can't
even apt-get another package because of this error.  When I try to apt-get
install, I get:
E: The package veepee needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive
for it.

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.

--

Stewart...