Re: help...

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 12:19:45PM -0800, Rick Rezinas wrote:
> Not sure about the first, but for the second, check out the docs for
> ifconfig, netstat, and route.  They should take care of most networking needs
> for a host.  Your immediate question looks like an ifconfig problem.
>
> have fun,
> rick
>
> On Mon, 05 Mar 2001, Dale Kosan wrote:
>
> > Two quick questions from a newbie, 1)trying to install setiathome but it
> > fails,it is looking for version 3.0 and 3.3 is the only available version,
> > any ideas? Also, is there a nice gui or easy command line program to change
> > the ip and info of a machine I set-up at work but am taking home? Thanks in
> > advance,any info or url would be cool.Gotta say, I LOVE DEBIAN......

us mac folk LOVE those guis.

until you find out how much more power and flexibility there is
in a textual configuration. edit those puppies from sri lanka, no
gui needed!

	# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

	iface lo inet loopback

	iface eth0 inet static
		address 192.168.1.1
		netmask 255.255.0.0
		network 192.168.1.0
		broadcast 192.168.1.255

	iface eth1 inet static
		address my.ip.addr.here
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		network my.isp.subnet.here
		broadcast my.isp.subnet.0
		gateway my.isp.subnet.router
	# or maybe
	# iface eth1 inet dhcp
	#	-- other possibilities...

man interfaces

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com
http://newbieDoc.sourceforge.net/ -- we need your brain!