Re: Compaq Proliant 6500 Install Problems

Steve Beitzel wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>       Sorry for the re-post of this message, but I didn't get any
> have tips for me?  Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
>   I have a Compaq Proliant 6500 (P11) Server in my lab, and I have
> spent the last 3 days trying valiantly to install Debian 2.2 on it,
> with no success.  Here is the set of steps that I have taken:
>
> - Perform Compaq System Erase with SmartStart utilities
> - Configure SMART 3200 Array Controller for RAID-0
> - Boot to Debian 2.2 CD #1 (using kernel 2.2.17)
> - Put cpqarray module built from 2.2.17 sources on a floppy
> - Execute a shell from dbootstrap, mount floppy, install module
> - Proceed Normally with Installation
>
> Everything appears to go fine, until I finally reboot the system.
> Then I am told the following:
>
> request_module[block-major-72]: root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device 48:02
>
> I installed the root filesystem on the second partition in the RAID
> Array (/dev/ida/c0d0p2), since the first partition is the compaq
> system utilities.  When I booted back to the rescue CD, and looked at
> the device in question, it lists the major/minor number for
> /dev/ida/c0d0p2 as 72,2.  I am baffled as to why it can't find the
> root filesystem, and also as to why it tries to find the root device
> at 48:02 when I see the major/minor number as 72,2 from the rescue
> CD.
>
> I have the latest BIOS and SMART 3200 Firmware installed on the
> server.  I have looked exhaustively at Compaq's support pages for
> Linux, and they have not helped.  Any help or advice on this would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Please CC me as I am not currently subscribed to the list.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Steve
> --
> Steve Beitzel
> Computer Science Department, IIT
> Systems Administrator,
> Information Retrieval Laboratory

Well, as no-one else has any ideas and I'm familiar with the hardware,
although not in conjuction with Linux, I'll have a couple of guesses.
Or at least suggest where I'd start looking first.

The array controller is set up ok and the driver module you've got
works, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to install Debian:-)

When you install Debian you provide the cpqarray driver module for the
array controller via floppy - have you got this module anywhere on the
installed system and does the installed kernel know about it when it
tries to boot?

If you've access to another Debian m/c with the same kernel, how about
compiling a boot floppy with the driver compiled in and see if that
works.  If it does, then it would imply to me that the installed kernel
you're booting hasn't got that driver module.

That's assuming that this message isn't coming from LILO (which I don't
use and aren't very familiar with).  At the end of the installation
process did you request that the system be made bootable from hard
disk?  In which case I believe that LILO would have been set-up.  There
was an issue, and may still be, with LILO and 1024 cylinder limits on
the boot partition - could this be a problem?  Although I've set up
quite a few of these systems, I've never checked to see what
cylinder/head layout the SMART Array controllers present to the OS - if
you've got it it set up for RAID 0, I bet there are going to be an awful
lot of cylinders:-)

HTH

LeeE