network card on new install not recognized

I am attempting a new install of deb. potato.  The install program is not
recognizing my network card and isn't configuring it.  I have an SMC EZ
10/100 ( the driver should be for a Realtek 3189).  I selected the realtek
driver in the install procedure, but when it goes to configure DHCP it
doesn't pick up the info as it should.  Any ideas?  At least let me know
this...where are the modues loaded and such.  The docs I see online aren't
oriented towards deb and they all point to stuff that isn't there....

Brian Murphy