Re: X configuration

> I am still straggling to get the X configuration allright, so my questions
> are probably not unfrequent in this list, sorry
> for repeating them.
>
> I have a Trident Blade3D/MVP4 graphics card, so I have installed the SVGA
> driver, but I have now X set with default pixel depth to 8bpp
> and screen resolution to 640x480; what is the way to change the default
> to say: 16 (or 24) bpp color depth, and 1024x768 pixels?

One way is to have a DefaultColorDepth line.

[19:52:29 /tmp]$ grep -A2 -B4 Default  /etc/X11/XF86Config
Section "Screen"
        Driver                  "svga"
        Device                  "Alpine"
        Monitor                 "MAG DX1495"
        DefaultColorDepth       16
        StandbyTime             2
        SuspendTime             3
[19:52:41 /tmp]$

> Second issue, probabily linked to the first, when I start WinMaker
> or Gnome with startx the screen goes first in stanby mode
> and only if I hit 3 times: CTRL, ALT, +
> it switches on with a desktop that is about 4 times the video (that
> is an effect of the poor resolution I presume). Any hint for me?

Seems to me a problem with the X config file. Can you post this file here?