X configuration

I am still straggling to get the X configuration allright, so my questions are probably not unfrequent in this list, sorry
for repeating them.

I have a Trident Blade3D/MVP4 graphics card, so I have installed the SVGA driver, but I have now X set with default pixel depth to 8bpp
and screen resolution to 640x480; what is the way to change the default
to say: 16 (or 24) bpp color depth, and 1024x768 pixels?

Second issue, probabily linked to the first, when I start WinMaker
or Gnome with startx the screen goes first in stanby mode
and only if I hit 3 times: CTRL, ALT, +
it switches on with a desktop that is about 4 times the video (that
is an effect of the poor resolution I presume). Any hint for me?

Today is cold and sunny in The Netherlands, if it keeps
freezing we might have a second chance for a ice-skate weekend here.

Bye

Giovanni