Re: apt-get dist-upgrade broke on testing

Yes, that's *exactly* what happened to me, dist-upgrading from a slink
install with a stock 2.0.36 kernel.

I ended up doing a fresh install from my potato CD just because things got
pretty messy. Clearly it's not supposed to work that way, but I'm not sure
what went wrong specifically.

This was on a Dell desktop with nothing exotic going on.

I can't help thinking my ancient kernel wasn't helping any, but it didn't
seem to be implicated in any of the error messages. Besides, I did the same
thing with a 2.0.36 kernel at home. By the end I was using dselect which
seems to be incredibly wise about how to get from A to B, but it just got
worse and worse.

So now I have mostly stable with various things from woody or sid (like
openssh).

If you find out anything I'd sure like to know. In the rebuild I got gnome
working so I'm pretty happy. Still easier than any windows reinstall I've
ever done!