Re: Configuring NTP

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Benjamin Pharr wrote:

> I'm trying to set up NTP on my Debina server.  I installed NTP using
> apt-get and then added several:
>
> server servername.com
>
> lines to the /etc/ntp.conf file.  It's been over a month, and my time
> continues to wander and /var/log/ntpstats is empty.  I can't find any
> errors in any of my log files.  Can anyone tell me what I might be doing
> wrong.  Thanks!
>
> Ben Pharr

It sounds like NTP isn't really running. Something that I've noticed is
that there seems to be a maximum time that your computer's clock can be
off from what NTP thinks is the real time or else NTP just gives up. I
can't remember what the error message is, or even where it is written to,
but I have seen it enough times. I would suggest looking into ntpdate,
which will let you set the time from your NTP servers and then restarting
ntp which hopefully will pick up from there. I suppose that you've checked
that you have connectivity to your time servers.

It's probably something simple, I've got NTP running on about 30
computers, both Sun and Linux, at work and at home and its never been too
much trouble.