RE: HP LJ III with Jet Direct and Linux

> I don't know if it can talk TCP or not.  It's an internal card, and I
> can set which io port to use from the panel menu (Parallel, Serial,
> optional), but I haven't found out how to get to any kind of
> configuration menu for the card.  I don't have any manuals
> for the card,
> but I do have one for the printer.  Do you know how to get to more
> configuration options besides holding down the menu button for 5
> seconds?  That's how I get to configure which IO device to use.
>
> Rob

The last one I configured (a long time ago) was done via the "IO menu".
In your case, probably the optional menu.  Once I got to the right menu,
I had to set the ip-addr using up and down arrows for each field in the
ip-addr.  Same for the net mask.  Once you have an ip-addr you can telnet
to it.

If that doesn't work, try using the mac address.  It should be on
the card (maybe with stickers).  Use arp to make an association with
the ip-addr you want and then telnet to that ip.  I'm being vague on
this because I haven't done it in a long time.  If anyone out there
remembers the procedure, speak up...  Of course, if it doesn't speak
tcp, this won't work.  Probably the same if tcp is disabled.

You might be able to find some info on the card from the hp web site.

I have done several of these things but not a lj3.  The most recent was
a 4550 and it was very easy to do from the front panel.  The lj3 front
panel is quite painful by comparison.

good luck
jim