Re: apt question

I may have misunderstood original posting but...

Enen if original poster started with one of Debian, he seems have
installled binary programs without debian package. (If he started
with RH or Slack, things are worse.)

If these programs are needed and can not be replaced by Debian ones, my
best bet is to make private package with higher version number and
install it to the clean system with dpkg -i,  I think.  Just like
kernel.

Data can be transfered. (All home directories and /etc/passwd etc.)

And use dselect to hold these packages.  (Oh also make sure to remove
conflicting packages.  You may have to provide special package
information not to break dependancy.)

Osamu