Re: new hard drive

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 02:58:54PM -0800, Ian Turner wrote:
> > > Will there be a problem moving the OS from the 10 GB to the 40 GB?
> > > I plan to increase the partition sizes of /usr/local and /home on the 40 GB.
> > > Any advice on how to do move the OS over?
> >
> > I did the same using the "Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To" at [1]. Since the
> > method described there uses "cp" it's no problem to increase the partition
> > sizes.
>
> You can also use tar of the form
> tar -cf- -C source_directory . | tar -xf- -C destination_directory .
>
> which should give much better performance than cp if the source and
> destination directories are on different drives.
>
> Ian Turner

IIRC tar doesn't handle special files, you know, dev's, pipes, stuff
like that. What you want is dump/restore.

first partition the new drive, lets call it sda for example.
for each partition do:
mke2fs /dev/sda1
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
(The above is from man restore. It needs to be pristine, it says.)

dump -0 -f - /dev/hda1 |(cd /mnt; restore -rvf - )

which means "do a level 0 (complete) dump of the old drive sending
the data to standard out, change directory to the new drive ,
restore the filesystem using the data coming from standard in,
verbosely."

do that for each partition
then edit your /etc/fstab  on the right drives
reboot off the new drive

and if that doesn't work, try something else.

--
      *** Dr P's Book Knowledge, Hell's Bibliophiles, and ****
      *  somewhere over the rainbow, a 99% text-only website *