Re: Is it possible to downgrade a Debian system from testing to stable?

Gavin Hamill wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Dave Sherohman wrote:
>
> > No, it won't.  When you run the dist-upgrade, apt will see that all packages
> > on the system are already at least as new as those available (testing's
> > version numbers are higher than stable's) and do nothing at all.
>
> I thought that this was one of the new features of apt 0.5, that it WILL
> downgrade when dists are changed? Maybe I misheard/misinterpreted ://

	apt 0.5 is in unstable. From the man page:

A specific version of a package can be selected for installation by
following the package name with an equals and the version of the package
to select. This will cause that version to be located and selected for
install. Alternatively a specific distribution can be selected by
following the package name with a slash and the version of the
distribution or the Archive name (stable, frozen, unstable).

Both of the version selection mechansims can downgrade packages and must
be used with care