Re: shell script experts pls help a lost soul

john smith wrote:

> hi,
>
> I am having some problems creating some sample scripts...hoping that
> somebody can lend a helping hand.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> if test -x $1
> then whoami;
> echo $1
> fi
>
> Yes I know my script sucks but I'm just learning..anyway, my questions are:
>
> 1. my script doesn't seem to display the script name together with
> whoami..actually,  what the script was supposed to do is when it is invoked,
> it will display the user name together with the scriptname should the
> scriptname gets changed somehow..it displays the username but not the
> scriptname itself.

The name of the script is $0.  $1 is the first argument.

> 2. how do I add to this script the count of the number of lines in a file?
> i.e. let's say cat's man page.

man wc.

> 3.lastly,let's say I want to print the first line of each 3-char.h file in
> /usr/include/lib..how can I accomplish this?

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly.  Perhaps something like

for i in *.h; do this; do that; do the other thing; done

See 'man bash'.  for name [ in word ] ; do list ; done

See also 'man head'.

> and Yes, this is part of my assignment

I hope I still left something to the imagination...

-Ron-
GPG and other info at: http://www.yellowbank.com/