Re: Gnus or Slrn for newsreader?

On Saturday 03 March 2001 13:27, mike polniak wrote:
> I have been using Pan as my newsreader. Its really not bad. Very
> easy to set up and use the gui.But i plan to try Gnus or Slrn.
> 	Any comments about either in terms of ease of setup/use, features
> and basically is either one worth the effort compared to Pan.

I've never used Pan, so I can't compare either of them with it.  I
tried slrn for a while.  It was OK but never really grabbed me.  Lots
of people like and recommend it -- I'm sure you'll hear from them.  I
used  xemacs gnus for both mail and news for years.  It is an acquired
taste. Most people either love it or don't like it at all.

The first thing to know about gnus is that it runs in [x]emacs.  That
is its greatest strength: it is intimately integrated with the most
powerful editor on the planet.  If you're familiar with emacs, and
especially if you know even a little bit of emacs lisp, you can make
gnus do almost anything you want.  If you're comfortable with the emacs
way of doing things gnus will quickly seem like the most natural way in
the world to read news and mail.  On the other hand, if you think emacs
was invented to torture people with carpal tunnel syndrome you probably
won't care for gnus either.

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.