Re: / is suddenly 100% used

on Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 01:15:00AM -0800, jdls (jdls@apu.edu) wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My root filesystem suddenly shows 100% usage even though there's almost
> nothing there...df shows its 100% but I am sure it's not...I tried to move
> and even delete, uninstall some files, applications to check if the usage
           ^^^^^^
***NEVER*** delete large files on an impacted filesystem, *unless* you
first zero them out, *and* insure nothing's accessing them:

    $ cat /dev/null > bigfile	# truncate bigfile
    $ fuser bigfile		# who's using bigfile?
    # If and only if no processes have file open:
    $ rm bigfile

...by deleting a file, you lose access to it, and are now no longer able
to (easily) truncate it, move it, rename it, or find out who's using it.
While a skilled GNU/Linux user should still be able to recover, you may
find it's easier to boot your system to close the open file.

> somehow goes down...it doesn't..du doesn't show anything
> extraordinary

What exactly are you running and what exactly is it showing?

> ...is there something I can try to find out what's
> happening and or to pinpoint the culprit?

List open files:

    $ lsof /

You can also see what directories are using the most space.  You want to
list directories which are part of your root filesystem, *not* those
which are separate filesystems.  In my case:

    $ du -sx /bin /dev /etc /initrd /lib /lost+found /root /sbin |
	sort -nr | cat -n

...the latter being for readier viewing.  You can then descend through
the larger directory(ies) with:

    $ du -sx * .[A-Za-z0-9_]*

...which should pick up most normal and 'dot' files.

Cheers.