Re: compiling a program

Philipp Bliedung wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have simple question concerning compiling a programm ....
> When I compile a program from the sources and it beakes for whatever
> reason, how can I get rid of all the files that were created so far or
> how can I remove this 'broken' program ?  Is there anything like
> 'apt-get -f install' which is used for .deb files ?

If the maintainer put a make directive (e.g. 'make uninstall') to do so
in their makefile perhaps.  Otherwise not usually.

You can review what happened during a 'make install' (or any other make
command, for that matter), by using make's -n option.  I.E. - 'make -n
install'.  This will just echo what would happen, without really doing
it.

Problems like these are why package management systems exist.

> And how can I find out if a new version of a package, for example libc6,
> depends on any other package? For example I tried to compile a
> movie-player but it needed a newer version of libc6, which I don't have,
> so how can I find out if I need any other package for libc6 to work?
> (I'm still using the 2.2.17 kernel...)

Build it and read the error messages.  They are not always easy to
decipher, especially if you don't know the language.  Again a good
reason to use package management systems.  Of course, that's not always
an option...

-Ron-
GPG and other info at: http://www.yellowbank.com/