Re: Lost linux partition

on Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 12:12:11AM +0800, #KUNDAN KUMAR# (PA7128279@ntu.edu.sg) wrote:
> I boot from boot floppy only, no lilo... and the boot floppy stratightaway
> loads the kernel without any lilo prompt...... and then gets stuck at Kernel
> Panic: No root file system.
> I do have debian rescue disk under the c: and I try to boot from there.... I
> get a console....but running lilo has no meaning here....
> I am afraid its lost for ever... does NAV back up the partition table before
> repairing?
> Kundan

You probably have to reconstruct your partition table(s) from hand.

This is why I make a practice of printing my partition tables and
placing them in a prominant location within my (hardcopy) system
logbook.

I'll also occasionally post them online, frequently in the guise of a
partitioning howto <g>.

Yes, I've had to reconstruct my own partition tables from hand.

And, if you haven't taken this preperatory step, you'll find proceeding
to be somewhat more difficult.