Re: Printer recommendations

on Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 08:26:36PM -0500, Alec Smith (alec@shadowstar.net) wrote:
> I'm faced with recommending a new printer for my parents as their old unit
> is starting to show its age. The goal is to find something for $350 or
> less which is Linux friendly since I'll also be using it. The printer will
> be connected to the LAN through an old HP JetDirect EX. Right now we're
> looking more towards a laser but I'd also be interested in inkjet
> recommendations as well.
>
> I had in mind to recommend the Lexmark Optra E312L as Egghead is offering
> it for $300. There is a straight E312 model which offers PostScript
> emulation, however its roughly $370 which may prove to be slightly over
> budget. Does anyone have experience with the E312L?
>
> As far as inkjets go, I generally like HPs. However, after finding out
> that a DeskJet 895Cse doesn't always work properly I'm not sure which are
> safe bets. I'm not looking for the ultra-cheap models as there's plenty of
> money to pay for a higher end model.

My recommendation is for a laserjet.  Inkjets are slow, expensive to
run, and tend to be maintenance-happy.

I just purchased a used HPLJ4m for about $380.  The footprint's about
twice what the HPDJ6xxC was, but it prints about ten times faster,
literally, native postscript.  If you have the space, an HPLJIIIx is
even less expensive, though I suspect you'll make up the difference on
power bills if it's on all the time.  Ideal would be to rig up something
to power on the printer automajikally when needed.  More modern LJs have
a built-in powersave option, the IIIs and 4s I looked at did not.